Common Covid Symptoms
People with COVID-19 may have a wide range of symptoms ranging from mild to severe. It may feel like you have a cold or allergies at first.
Symptoms can include fever, fatigue, sore throat, cough, shortness of breath, nasal congestion or runny nose, headache, body aches, diarrhea, nausea, and loss of taste or smell. Symptoms may occur 2-12 days after exposure to the virus.
If you have any of these symptoms, you should isolate yourself and get tested.
If your test is positive, continue isolating yourself and tell your AgeWell provider you have tested positive for COVID-19. Notify people you have been in close contact with that they may have been exposed.
- Over the counter / home testing: You can order free self-test kits or purchase tests online, in pharmacies, or retail stores.
- Outpatient testing: Nasal swab PCR testing is available at UCHealth outpatient labs. To receive testing at an outpatient lab, you must have an order from your provider. No appointment is needed for this test.
The goal of these medications is to decrease symptoms you are experiencing and shorten the course of the illness.
There are two medications available by prescription only. You will need a positive Covid test and you must be within 5 days of symptom onset for treatment with these medications.
Your AgeWell provider team will determine which of the medications is the right one for you and give you instructions on how to administer these medications.
For AgeWell patients, we recommend the following over-the-counter supportive treatments to manage any symptoms you may be experiencing.
- Claritin or Zyrtec: Nasal/sinus congestion – 1 tablet daily
- Flonase: Nasal /sinus congestion – 2 sprays in each nostril daily
- Mucinex: For congestion – 600mg twice a day
- Robitussin: For cough – 10mL every 4-6 hours as needed
- Tylenol 500mg: For body aches or fever greater than 100, one tablet every 4-6 hours as needed, not to exceed 3000mg
- Saltwater gargles: For a sore throat
- Electrolyte drinks: To prevent dehydration (i.e. Pedialyte, Gatorade)
- You can also use hot tea with honey and lemon, cough drops, Vitamin C 500mg to 1000mg daily
Please call our office if you have any questions or concerns. We have same-day appointments and can do in-office testing for COVID-19 at your visit.
Being fully vaccinated and boosted is the best way to protect against severe illness and hospitalization from COVID-19. COVID-19 vaccinations are available at local pharmacies if you have not had a primary two shot series or the latest booster vaccination. Future vaccination recommendations are pending CDC guidance.
Find up to date vaccine information here
Some people who have been infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 can experience long-term effects from their infection, known as Long COVID.
The most common symptoms of Long Covid are extreme tiredness (fatigue), shortness of breath, loss of smell and muscle aches.
Need More Information?
Learn more about Covid-19